Thursday 28 March 2013

Interview with Cindy Sprigg


Today I am joined by the lovely Cindy Sprigg.
So let's get down to business and get stuck into the interview

Interview questions


Hi Cindy, thank you for accepting to be interviewed. As my blog says ‘ Complete randomness from a crazy author’ so expect the unexpected J

How long have you wanted to be a writer?

I never consciously wanted  to be a writer, but when I started, I found  that it was a way to exorcize the people who had been stomping around  my head forever, and shut them up. Unfortunately, the door swings two ways, and  for every one leaving, another shows up.

Yes I know that feeling exactly. To me I feel like I have opened the door and misplaced the key and all sorts of characters show up in my head and I want to scream and tell them to take a ticket and form an orderly queue  :p
Have you come up against any hurdles along the way?

Sure, everyone does; primarily, I left school in Grade 10 to get married, which didn’t last too long. I realize now that I did so just to get out of the house. To put it mildly I did not have a supportive family, so at 17 I was functionally illiterate. Over the next  20 years I found a permanent  relationship, expanded my education, married and  had a son. My son bet me that I could not write a story, and my first efforts were directed to winning that bet. Once opened, that door could not be closed.   Currently my ongoing bugbear is the query letter.

Your life sounds like a story in itself. But I know where you are coming from. I class myself as an orphan ;)
What would you say is the most difficult thing about being a writer is?

It’s a balancing act between finding time to write, and staying sane if I don’t.  The ideas still keep coming, and if I don’t have time to write, I have to keep notes.

That is why we should have a PA sitting inside our head taking notes lol.
What or who inspires you to write?

Originally my son,  more recently,  the people stomping around and yelling in my head.

If your books are a series, how many books do you plan to have in your series?

There are a few stories that I know will continue in other volumes, but since I do not consciously plan the plots or characters in my stories, I really have no idea until I am finished one. “Composed in Blood” for instance, was written at white heat, and took all my time for weeks on end: I had no idea where it was going, or how the characters would develop until I was writing. I know there will be a sequel, but I only have a faint notion of what it will be.

Do you have any other writing projects on the go, apart from your current series?

Many.  I always have several stories in process, some of which may be short stories, others may develop into novellas or novels. I have also planned some children’s books, but right now I cannot develop the artwork for the illustrations, due to my recent stroke.  The first book of the series, “The Dandelion Child” is complete.

I am sorry to hear you had a stroke. How about you asking someone else to do your artwork for it?
If you could be any of your characters who would it be and why?

Given that most of my characters are either Monsters or Meat, the options  do tend to lack appeal. I can say that the character of Susan  in “Has Anyone seen Susan”  is largely based on my persona.

What genre would you say your books are in?

Primarily, so far, Horror and  Dark Fantasy, though I am working on a literary love story, set in medieval times, plus of course the kid’s books mentioned before.

Do you have any favourite authors?

Mervyn Peake,  HP Lovecraft,  Ray Bradbury,  and  amongst the modern  masters,  Peter Straub,  Clive Barker,  Stephen King,  Neil Gaiman and James Herbert.

As a Brit we have one burning question going around our country…………… Do you scrunch or fold? ;) (toilet paper)

What makes you think I use mere toilet tissue.

LOL
What do you like to do besides writing?

Browse  thrift and antique stores.

What is your favourite cheese?

Havarti

Sweet or savoury?

Savoury  (I’m Diabetic)

Oh I would hate to be a diabetic. Women in my family become diabetic as they get older. But if someone is diabetic from childhood I suppose they wouldn’t miss chocolate.
Would you rather be attacked by one horse sized duck or 20 duck sized horses?

The Horse sized Duck.  Ducks are edible, and I could eat off  that for a while.

If you had one wish that I could wave a magic wand and grant you, what would it be and why?

To become popular  as a writer; then I could spend more time writing and less time promoting.


I hear ya. One of the reason why I chose to do these type of blogs to help fellow authors out in promotion. I personally suck at it lol.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
To find out more about Cindy and all the work she has done then check out the following webpages.







No comments:

Post a Comment